Tuition & Fees
What It Costs to Attend BNS
Tuition and Fees
Grades K - 5: $740 per child per month
Grades 6 - 8: $760 per child per month
Tuition is charged monthly for 9 months (from September through June), a quarter (1/4) of a month in August and another 1/4 in June (at the end of the academic year). Tuition can be reduced through the Tuition Reduction Option (TRO) program, or by applying for tuition assistance (see below for more details).
In addition, tuition discounts apply for enrolling more than one child at the school:
- The second child in the same family receives a $50 per month reduction
- The third child in the same family receives a $100 per month reduction
- The fourth child in the same family receives a $150 per month reduction
- The fifth child in the same family receives a $200 per month reduction
A non-refundable, annual Registration Fee is equal to one month's tuition and is required prior to (re)enrollment. This fee is waived for third and subsequent children.
Supply and Activity Fees
A Supply and Activity Fee is required to cover the cost of books, supplies, and most field trips throughout the year. Half of this fee is charged at the beginning of each semester (August and January).
Grades K - 5: $500 per child per year
Grades 6 - 8: $700 per child per year
The charge for this State-licensed program varies from $6/hr to $42/week depending on the amount of time the child uses the After-School Program. These charges appear as a separate item on the monthly statement.
Additional Events/Field Trips
While most additional events and/or field trips are covered by the semi-annual Supply and Activity Fee, some may be organized on a voluntary basis. Charges and payments for these activities will also appear on the monthly statements of those who choose to participate. Some events may require advanced payment.
Tuition Reduction Options (TROs)
Parents can carry out certain tasks for which BNS offers a reduction in tuition of $60 per month. The details of the different TROs available are described in the TRO Program guidelines. Some examples are:
- lunch duty one day a week
- sunshine duty (monitoring the children before school begins)
- cleaning the classrooms, bathrooms, or kitchen
- building maintenance
- serving as an officer of the corporation
These jobs provide parents with the opportunity not only to participate in their children's school, but also to reduce the cost of tuition. Every family is guaranteed one TRO per child enrolled, although taking advantage of this opportunity is optional. Families may take on additional TROs, if they are available.
Parents can also apply for tuition assistance. The Blacksburg New School Tuition Assistance Fund is able to provide financial assistance toward tuition to current and incoming families on a financial needs basis. If you would like more information, or to apply for tuition assistance, please email the school at email@example.com
The School Bell
- 2/14/20 - BNS closes at Noon, Teacher Work Time
- 2/17/20 - BNS Closed, Teacher Work Day
- 3/3/20 - Lower Elementary Science Fair
- 3/4/20 - Upper Elementary Science Fair
- 3/5/20 - Middle School History Night
- 3/6/20 - No After School Program
- 3/9/20-3/13/20 - Spring Break
- 4/3/20 - BNS Closes at Noon, Teacher Work Time
- 4/6/20 - Red Room Authors' Tea
- 4/7/20 - Orange Room Authors' Tea
- 4/8/20 - Yellow Room Authors' Tea
- 4/13/20 - Green Room Authors' Tea
- 4/14/20 - Turquoise Room Authors' Tea
- 4/15/20 - Blue Room Authors' Tea
- 4/21/20 - Purple Room 6th Authors' Tea
- 4/22/20 - Purple Room 7th Authors' Tea
- 4/23/20 - Purple Room 8th Authors' Tea
- 5/8/20 - No Classes, Teacher Work Day
- 5/11/20 - No Classes, Teacher Work Day
- 5/25/20 - Memorial Day, BNS is CLOSED