Middle School Curriculum
The Purple Room academics blend teacher-designed curriculum with state and national standards. The science curriculum reflects a three year rotation between life, physical, and earth sciences. The world studies curriculum reflects a three year rotation between U.S. History: post-Civil War reconstruction to present, ancient civilizations, and civics.
The language arts curriculum also cycles through literature topics. Depending on the year, you may find students studying 19th century American poetry, Norse mythology, or exploring conflict within society through reading Animal Farm or Red Scarf Girl. And in the spring of each year, students read a play by William Shakespeare and enact scenes from the play for the younger grades.
The math courses use Prentice Hall's math curriculum and supplemental materials to study various levels of Pre-Algebra, high school Algebra 1, and Geometry, depending on each student's current skills. The Spanish curriculum is taught at the high school level and begins in fifth grade. Each Spanish high school level course is split over two years. For Physical Education students rotate through five differently themed units each trimester that focuses on athletics, games, individual fitness, fitness for body awareness, and outdoor adventure activities.
Rounding out the program, a variety of elective courses are offered each trimester, taught by parents and teachers. Past topics have included introduction to Chinese, gardening, book club, Red Room learning buddies, photography, Roman art and architecture, literary magazine, and novel-writing.
The curriculum attachments for the Purple Room program are listed below.
Life Skills and Sex Ed.pdf
Purple Room Computer Lab Curriculum.pdf
Art Curriculum: 6th Grade.pdf
Art I Curriculum: 7th & 8th Grade.pdf
Spanish I, Part 2.pdf
Spanish II, Part 1.pdf
Spanish II, Part 2.pdf
Purple Room Daily Schedule.pdf
The School Bell
- 2/14/20 - BNS closes at Noon, Teacher Work Time
- 2/17/20 - BNS Closed, Teacher Work Day
- 3/3/20 - Lower Elementary Science Fair
- 3/4/20 - Upper Elementary Science Fair
- 3/5/20 - Middle School History Night
- 3/6/20 - No After School Program
- 3/9/20-3/13/20 - Spring Break
- 4/3/20 - BNS Closes at Noon, Teacher Work Time
- 4/6/20 - Red Room Authors' Tea
- 4/7/20 - Orange Room Authors' Tea
- 4/8/20 - Yellow Room Authors' Tea
- 4/13/20 - Green Room Authors' Tea
- 4/14/20 - Turquoise Room Authors' Tea
- 4/15/20 - Blue Room Authors' Tea
- 4/21/20 - Purple Room 6th Authors' Tea
- 4/22/20 - Purple Room 7th Authors' Tea
- 4/23/20 - Purple Room 8th Authors' Tea
- 5/8/20 - No Classes, Teacher Work Day
- 5/11/20 - No Classes, Teacher Work Day
- 5/25/20 - Memorial Day, BNS is CLOSED